Whitney Portal Store Message Board
Mount Whitney Reports

Topic Options
#97004 - 11/18/13 05:28 AM 17-November-2013
Richard P. Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest, CA
I'm shaking uncontrollably...

No, I'm not back up in the cold High Sierra...

I'm driving a little too fast across the Mojave Desert...

I did think back to the shaking a year earlier...

As I let up on the gas pedal to get the shaking under control, I looked over my right shoulder to watch the setting sun...

And remembered, too, that at about this time, I had started to think I was in some Serious $***.

The rest of That Story can be found in the site's archives.

I've created a special category at my photo website devoted to the Whitney 52 Project:

http://piotrowski.smugmug.com/California-Mountains/Project-Whitney-52-Weekends

If you've ever wondered about the differences in the Whitney Zone over the year, here's your chance to see it...

I haven't done much in the mountains in the last year...

Shin's post in Davey McCoy's thread reminded me that I'm really not good enough for Whitney (or any other high peak for that matter) right now...

But I'm having way too much fun with my new Going Long Pursuit, so I may never go back to The Way Things Were...

#97008 - 11/18/13 08:51 AM Re: 17-November-2013 [Re: Richard P.]
Doug Sr Offline

Loc: Whitney
I wrote Mountain Whitney is a very nice Mountain , I woul like to do the climb one day. Mr John Fisher would meet his clients at the store and this would be his introduction, and then begin to talk about the East Face route and that would be very nice climb,we will do that in the morning. John would be smoking a camel bent slightly over and talking very low as if the energy to speak was about all he had left.John guided the in Sierra for over 30 years did many great things. John and I were best friends so much that a program he felt would change the guiding in America I had different thoughts so we never brought the subject up,respecting each other beliefs.

Earlene and I went to Johns celebration of life, we go to these fairly often. We are all there The wanta be's and the never quite made it crowd and some that did very well, we are there because we are a family, a very strong family that watched all the kids grow up, marriages, good times and hard times, We know standing in respect it is not if more to the point of when, Write this down if you want to live this life style... I will be in this family , I will climb , I will do many great things ,I will.....
Richard is part of this family on Nov 17 2012 he was awarded the highest honnor. The gift of life.

#97010 - 11/18/13 09:33 AM Re: 17-November-2013 [Re: Doug Sr]
bobpickering Online   content

Loc: Reno, NV
I met John Fischer several times in the mountains, really liked him, and eventually hired him to take me up Ice Nine. The morning after Ice Nine, we soloed up the snow/ice on Darwin before hiking out. A great trip with a great guy.

#97011 - 11/18/13 09:54 AM Re: 17-November-2013 [Re: Doug Sr]
rosabella Offline

Loc: Washington State
Originally Posted By: Doug Sr
Richard is part of this family on Nov 17 2012 he was awarded the highest honnor. The gift of life.

OMG... Doug this took my breath away. It is so very beautiful.

All I can say is thank you. Thank you for your amazing insight and your wisdom.

Rosie

#97012 - 11/18/13 11:47 AM Re: 17-November-2013 [Re: Richard P.]
BiletChick Offline

Loc: Bishop, CA
Quote:
But I'm having way too much fun with my new Going Long Pursuit, so I may never go back to The Way Things Were...

Richard, are you thinking PCT? No, wait...YOU would be thinking PCT, AT, CDT!

Stacy

#97014 - 11/19/13 04:34 AM Re: 17-November-2013 [Re: Doug Sr]
Richard P. Offline

Doug, I've bookmarked this specific page. I will try and remember to come back and read this every time I turn into a Grumpy Old Man. Thanks.

I don't think I ever met John Fisher, but I have heard some of the stories. I do think about him almost every time I get on the highway on one of my motorcycles... remembering to try and stay Cautious and Vigilante.

Stacy, (staying cryptic) about the only thing that the new activity has in common with climbing is that is does involve the use of bolts. Shin is coming North with one of his customs soon. Maybe you guys could head South and join us? He'd have the details.

If I stay healthy enough, I would like to Thru-Hike the PCT after I retire.

Edited by Richard P. (11/19/13 04:38 AM)
Edit Reason: You ever notice that you can see headlamps on the trail on the last webcam photo of the day?

#97015 - 11/19/13 06:45 AM Re: 17-November-2013 [Re: Richard P.]
Akichow Offline

Loc: Confluence of the Sac and Am R...
Looked this up (John Fischer). Story here.

http://adventuresportsjournal.com/climbing/john-fisher--1946-2010

#97016 - 11/19/13 02:06 PM Re: 17-November-2013 [Re: Richard P.]
BiletChick Offline

Loc: Bishop, CA
Hmmmm, I can think of a few things that use bolts...and knowing of Shin's past hobbies, I might figure it out ;-)
I'll have to shoot him an email soon...pun intended! Hope I don't interrupt his farming chores!!!

Stacy

#97017 - 11/19/13 07:32 PM Re: 17-November-2013 [Re: Richard P.]
Ridgeline Offline

Loc: Granada Hills Ca
For a bit of insight into John Fisher and the PSOM and others you have to read Doug Robinsons" Mountaineering Just Means Glad to Be Here" Found in, A Night on the Ground A Day In the Open.
I love to read this year after year!

#102855 - 11/22/18 07:16 AM Re: 17-November-2013 [Re: Doug Sr]
Richard P. Offline

Thought I'd bump this back up...

I'm on a new streak that is 5 weeks old...

I was up there for another easy cruise to the summit on the 16th...
(Close enough to 6 years since The Event.)

Had a REALLY hard time resisting going up today (7 months since my Mom died, first Thanksgiving without her), but I think I'm done with doing (really) stupid things...

I'll just sit here watching the trees sway...

Maybe this weekend will make for a nice walk on some fresh snow...

With, or without, a summit, it will be fun.

Happy Thanksgiving.

#102857 - 11/22/18 09:28 AM Re: 17-November-2013 [Re: Richard P.]
Doug Sr Offline

Loc: Whitney
Hey Thanks for bumping this up , might make my comments about winter travel seem worth looking into.

#102858 - 11/22/18 09:51 AM Re: 17-November-2013 [Re: Doug Sr]
JamesL Offline

Loc: California
On Baldy last weekend talked briefly to two guys in huge mountaineering boots (not quite double plastics but close), ice axes, big packs. They said they were training for Whitney the following weekend. Hope they read the weather reports, will be a decent amount of fresh stuff up high. Looking like a good amount already on Thor. May they too be honored with the gift of life (very well put Doug). Cool photos Richard.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr