Whitney Portal Store Message Board
Mount Whitney Reports

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#44785 - 02/08/08 07:41 AM MT Whitney shot (from the sky) - UPDATE (14 FEB)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks to one of our USMC pilots... SEMPER FI!

#44789 - 02/08/08 08:04 AM Re: MT Whitney shot (from the sky) - 07 FEB 08 [Re: ]
Bob K. Offline

Loc: USA
Thanks for sharing. And thanks to the pilot. Great pictures. smile

#44790 - 02/08/08 08:11 AM Re: MT Whitney shot (from the sky) - 07 FEB 08 [Re: ]
romanandrey Offline

Loc: SoCal
Wow! fantastic scouting shots. Can we get the pilot on retainer???

Andy

#44791 - 02/08/08 08:15 AM Re: MT Whitney shot (from the sky) - 07 FEB 08 [Re: Bob K.]
DocRodneydog Offline

Loc: Santa Clarita
Spectacular shots!!! From this view I can't believe I actually climbed something like that. Any chance someone could mark landmarks to give a perspective of where locations are. I am very disoriented as to where Lone Pine Lake, Trail Crest and the switchbacks are from this view. Thanks.

#44794 - 02/08/08 11:41 AM Re: MT Whitney shot (from the sky) - 07 FEB 08 [Re: DocRodneydog]
Dale Dalrymple Online   content

These may me hard to compare to expectations because they look up the North Fork instead of the main trail.

Here is a quick first attempt:

Dale B. Dalrymple
http://dbdimages.com
http://stores.lulu.com/dbd

#44795 - 02/08/08 12:31 PM Re: MT Whitney shot (from the sky) - 07 FEB 08 [Re: ]
RJLA Offline

Loc: N.L.V., NV.
GREAT SHOTS!!! Thanks for posting, makes me want to take a trip back there soon.

#44796 - 02/08/08 12:33 PM Re: MT Whitney shot (from the sky) - 07 FEB 08 [Re: Dale Dalrymple]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great job Dale! I was a bit curious myself.

Here are some shots of 5 Fingers and Owens Peak (since this is now my home).

#44797 - 02/08/08 12:58 PM Re: MT Whitney shot (from the sky) - 07 FEB 08 [Re: ]
mono Offline

Loc: Irvine, CA
Those are simply awesome!! Thanks for posting them.

#44798 - 02/08/08 03:45 PM Re: MT Whitney shot (from the sky) - 07 FEB 08 [Re: mono]
DocRodneydog Offline

Loc: Santa Clarita
Thanks Dale.Is the main trail then on the left of the most left ridge in the first picture?(nice english)

#44799 - 02/08/08 03:53 PM Re: MT Whitney shot (from the sky) - 07 FEB 08 [Re: ]

My guess is that the second shot from the first set was from over the Horseshoe Meadow Road half a mile south of Lubkin Canyon Road from about 10,500'.

Dale B. Dalrymple

#44809 - 02/09/08 02:48 AM Re: MT Whitney shot (from the sky) - 07 FEB 08 [Re: ]
robohiker Offline

Loc: northeast
very nice photos for sure.
i have a request if you don't mind sir, did you take any of the evolution valley or any of the interior (i.e.) anywhere along the john muir trail location?) thanks again. p.f.c. robo hiker;-)

#44812 - 02/09/08 12:00 PM Re: MT Whitney shot (from the sky) - 07 FEB 08 [Re: robohiker]
TwoFortyJeff Offline

Loc: TN
Great photos! Sometimes I wish I choose flying as a career.
Any more shots would be greatly appreciated.

I remember seeing many many military fighters playing around during the 3 days I spend in the Whitney area last summer. I saw them showing off and really pushing their aircraft. I never got buzzed though.

I was hiking east on the High Sierra Trail and as soon as I topped out at Kaweah Gap I got buzzed by an extrememly low red and blue lone fighter. If he was inverted I would have been able to see his face! It was very cool, although questionably legal.

#44813 - 02/09/08 12:26 PM Re: MT Whitney shot (from the sky) - 07 FEB 08 [Re: DocRodneydog]

Originally Posted By: DocRodneydog
Thanks Dale.Is the main trail then on the left of the most left ridge in the first picture?(nice english)

The main trail starts with a single big switchback to a crossing of the north fork of Lone Pine Creek. After the crossing the trail's first set of switchbacks climbs in the trees at the base of the ridge that comes NE off of Thor. (The bottom of that ridge comes straight towards the camera.) I think these switchbacks may be in view but hidden in trees. The trail then traverses SW and starts a second set of switchbacks that climb almost to the level of Lone Pine Lake. The second set of switchbacks are out of sight behind the rock ridge on the south side of the Portal. It's hard to see the edge of that ridge against the side of the ridge off Thor because both are backlit. The top edge of Thor is hard to discern for the same reason.

Dale B. Dalrymple
http://dbdimages.com
http://stores.lulu.com/dbd

#44816 - 02/09/08 05:20 PM Re: MT Whitney shot (from the sky) - 07 FEB 08 [Re: TwoFortyJeff]
robohiker Offline

here's a photo. getting buzzed on the franconia ridge in nh. the photo doesn't do it justice, you could see the guy clear as day in the cockpit
http://forums.flagsonthe48.org/modules.p...=view_photo.php

one more
http://forums.flagsonthe48.org/modules.p...=view_photo.php

#44817 - 02/09/08 06:47 PM Re: MT Whitney shot (from the sky) - 07 FEB 08 [Re: robohiker]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: robohiker
very nice photos for sure.
i have a request if you don't mind sir, did you take any of the evolution valley or any of the interior (i.e.) anywhere along the john muir trail location?) thanks again. p.f.c. robo hiker;-)

Hey there,

I spoke to the pilot today (who took those photos) & he said he'd take shots of the Evolution valley for you (and the Evolution Group). He thinks it's within his flying territory. So, maybe this upcoming week, I'll have somethin' for ya!

#44825 - 02/10/08 10:05 AM Re: MT Whitney shot (from the sky) - 07 FEB 08 [Re: ]
robohiker Offline

Originally Posted By: ....
[quote=robohiker]very nice photos for sure.

Hey there,

I spoke to the pilot today (who took those photos) & he said he'd take shots of the Evolution valley for you (and the Evolution Group). He thinks it's within his flying territory. So, maybe this upcoming week, I'll have somethin' for ya!

[/quote/]
thanks very much,i'm interested in it because we'll be hiking through there this june on a p.c.t. thru-hike, and i've heard they're having quite a snow year in there. thanks again, p.f.c. robo hiker ;-D

#44827 - 02/10/08 12:29 PM Re: MT Whitney shot (from the sky) - 07 FEB 08 [Re: robohiker]
Ken Offline

Loc: Studio City, Ca
For the pilots in the group, here is a fascinating story about the search for Steve Fossett:

fossett story

#44840 - 02/10/08 09:03 PM Re: MT Whitney shot (from the sky) - 07 FEB 08 [Re: ]
marmoting Offline

The pictures of Owens Peak inspired me to climb it today. The beauty of the snow in the pictures belies the truly horrible, rotten, energy-sucking condition of the snow. Right now Owens Peak snow is best enjoyed from an aircraft, unless one has serious masochistic tendencies.

#44841 - 02/10/08 09:43 PM Re: MT Whitney shot (from the sky) - 07 FEB 08 [Re: marmoting]
Fuji Guy Offline

Loc: California
awsome pictures and everyone in the marine corp should know i thank them for their servivce to our country !!!

#44844 - 02/11/08 02:01 PM Re: MT Whitney shot (from the sky) - 07 FEB 08 [Re: Fuji Guy]
mrcs Offline

Yes, the pictures are great, but the pilots are greatest.

A few years ago after descending Mt Whitney in winter I went (as usually) to Death Valley. Somewhere on the way, I set my camera on the tripod to take a picture of the Sierra. I looked through the camera to compose the shot and suddenly something big flew into my frame. I was so surprised/scared that instead of taking a picture I looked up to see the creature and got scared again of a quickly passing above my head jet with threatening noise. Well, they got me.

The next day or so, while driving back to Lone Pine, a threatening noise passed me from behind and the jet quickly disappeared in front of my car. They got me again. I loved that experience. Thanks for providing me such excitements.

Also a few years ago I had another experience with jets, this time at the Air Force in Medford, OR. I was let to get as close as possible to lunching jets to take pictures. The plains, one after another, were taking off the ground in front of me. The noise and vibration were so huge that my tripod fell apart. Yes the metal frame broke. I was afraid that my camera lens was going to break too, but it survived. I survived to the end too. It was scary, but, again, I loved the experience.

On many other occasions I've seen these pilots doing amazing things in the sky, also in San Francisco. They are very, very talented and skilled. They are the best!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr