Whitney Portal Store Message Board
Mount Whitney Reports

Topic Options
#102778 - 09/07/18 10:40 AM Get order in at WPS Restaurant even if nauseated!
jaymm Offline

Loc: San Pedro, CA
I summited on a day hike and when I went through the wooden arches I did not go directly to the Whitney Portal Store Resturarant and order dinner. I was still nauseous with AMS so I didn't think I could eat dinner as I had planned. But AMS nausea is not like my usual experience with Norovirus (vomiting flu) which lasts for a long time. After crashing for a while, I was surprised that my nausea had dissipated, but when I looked up the Resturaunt was closed. NOOOOOOOOOO! Recommendation: if near closing go directly from the wooden arches to the Resturaunt even if nauseated. Crash and nurse some drinks, you may be surprised when your appetite comes back.

#102779 - 09/07/18 11:41 AM Re: Get order in at WPS Restaurant even if nauseated! [Re: jaymm]
Jeff M Offline

Loc: Rattlesnake Hill, CA
Well, there's always Tommy's Original on Gaffey, right...?

#102780 - 09/07/18 02:21 PM Re: Get order in at WPS Restaurant even if nauseated! [Re: jaymm]
jaymm Offline

Loc: San Pedro, CA
Unfortunately, I would have been "Driving Under the Influence of Summiting Induced Altitude Sickness and Exhaustion" so I couldn't drive out of Whitney Portal.

PS: Tommy's Burger in San Pedro is no more.

#102782 - 09/07/18 04:28 PM Re: Get order in at WPS Restaurant even if nauseated! [Re: jaymm]
Jeff M Offline

Loc: Rattlesnake Hill, CA
Originally Posted By: jaymm
PS: Tommy's Burger in San Pedro is no more.

That was kinda the joke. (Former Pedro rat here---glad the Torpedo at Sorrento's is still around, though.)

Originally Posted By: hightinerary
The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) shut Tommy’s down after investigations found that the facility was mixing diseased ferret meat into its ground beef patties.

It wasn't so much the "diseased" part, but that the fur caused too many choking deaths...

#102798 - 09/18/18 11:09 PM Re: Get order in at WPS Restaurant even if nauseated! [Re: jaymm]
thorn Offline

Loc: berkeley, CA
pretty good advice really// after my summit i stopped at the Portal, hung out for a bit. Was not exactly altitude sick but a little loopy from the hike and thought i was not hungry// as soon as i got into town i was starving, ended up having an inferior lunch in Lone Pine.

Edited by thorn (09/18/18 11:09 PM)

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr