Whitney Portal Store Message Board
Mount Whitney Reports

Topic Options
#67218 - 08/26/09 01:44 PM East Face of Whitney, Fresh Air Traverse Video
Kurt Wedberg Offline

Loc: Bishop, CA
This video was taken from a helmet cam on August 10, 2009 during an East Face climb I was guiding. The video was shot and edited by Andy (romanandrey on this board). I am amazed at the high quality this little helmet cam produces. I thought you all would enjoy seeing it.

#67223 - 08/26/09 02:06 PM Re: East Face of Whitney, Fresh Air Traverse Video [Re: Kurt Wedberg]
wagga Offline

Loc: Cairns, Far North Queensland
Bravo! Kurt. Absolutely terrific.

I posted a while back to find out whether I actually led FA. Nope.

Perhaps the next time you (or anybody else) is up there, some photo/video shots of the area to the left of Shaky Leg would be great. I would like to know where I really went.

And I would love to see Shaky Leg presented this way.

#67228 - 08/26/09 03:03 PM Re: East Face of Whitney, Fresh Air Traverse Video [Re: wagga]
Kurt Wedberg Offline

Originally Posted By: wagga
Bravo! Kurt. Absolutely terrific.

I posted a while back to find out whether I actually led FA. Nope.

Perhaps the next time you (or anybody else) is up there, some photo/video shots of the area to the left of Shaky Leg would be great. I would like to know where I really went.

And I would love to see Shaky Leg presented this way.

I'm not sure if this will help you or not but all the pictures I shot from that trip are here.

If you have specific questions get in touch and I'll do what I can to answer them.

There has been much confusion and sometimes controversial conversation over the years about where "the route" goes. There are actually several variations possible in different areas of the climb. It isn't as exact as climbing a sport route at a local crag. It's a full on alpine setting in every sense of the word and route finding is one of the biggest challenges for many folks.

#67318 - 08/27/09 03:14 PM Re: East Face of Whitney, Fresh Air Traverse Video [Re: Kurt Wedberg]
BiletChick Offline

Hi Kurt
That is great footage, Thank you! Do you know the make/model of the helmet cam? It realy is clear...especially for You Tube.

#67319 - 08/27/09 03:18 PM Re: East Face of Whitney, Fresh Air Traverse Video [Re: Kurt Wedberg]
bulldog34 Offline

Loc: Atlanta
VERY cool video!

However I'll stick with hiking, thanks . . .

#67323 - 08/27/09 04:07 PM Re: East Face of Whitney, Fresh Air Traverse Video [Re: Kurt Wedberg]
krisztianr Offline

Loc: Aliso Viejo Ca
Awesome video. I would also like to know which Make and Model helmet cam this is. I have bought one before, Go Pro and it sucked.
Terrible quality, this footage is excellent quality.

#67340 - 08/27/09 06:40 PM Re: East Face of Whitney, Fresh Air Traverse Video [Re: Kurt Wedberg]
Jim R Offline

Loc: Southern Maryland
OK, now that I've seen it, I'll say this: not in my lifetime!

#67363 - 08/28/09 07:25 AM Re: East Face of Whitney, Fresh Air Traverse Video [Re: krisztianr]
Kurt Wedberg Offline

Originally Posted By: krisztianr
Awesome video. I would also like to know which Make and Model helmet cam this is. I have bought one before, Go Pro and it sucked.
Terrible quality, this footage is excellent quality.

Originally Posted By: BiletChick
Hi Kurt
That is great footage, Thank you! Do you know the make/model of the helmet cam? It realy is clear...especially for You Tube.

I think the camera he used is a Vholdr ContourHD. Yes I too am very impressed with the quality of this video. That plus the editing makes for some nice footage to watch.

#67366 - 08/28/09 07:49 AM Re: East Face of Whitney, Fresh Air Traverse Video [Re: Kurt Wedberg]
KentuckyTodd Offline

Loc: Lexington, KY
Ahh, yea.

I don't think I could carry enough Wag Bags for that route...

Great vid..

#67368 - 08/28/09 07:57 AM Re: East Face of Whitney, Fresh Air Traverse Video [Re: Kurt Wedberg]
romanandrey Offline

Loc: SoCal
Hi everyone,

Yes, the camera is a VholdR ContourHD, shooting 720p HD video, if you're interested.

Also, here is the full article for my climb with Kurt:

http://www.sierradescents.com/climbing/whitney/east-face.html

And some photos to tempt you:

Climbing with Kurt was a pleasure. We had a great time together, and I would absolutely do it again.

If I can do it, so can you! (maybe) smile

Andy

#67369 - 08/28/09 08:14 AM Re: East Face of Whitney, Fresh Air Traverse Video [Re: Kurt Wedberg]
steelfrog Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
That's actually what I thought while watching that--maybe I can do that too! Question--was Kurt talking to you as you went, calling out moves to you? Telling you what to do with the protection, etc.?

#67371 - 08/28/09 08:56 AM Re: East Face of Whitney, Fresh Air Traverse Video [Re: romanandrey]
BiletChick Offline

Wow, Congrats Andy! That was AWESOME! Thank you for sharing the journey.

#67374 - 08/28/09 09:08 AM Re: East Face of Whitney, Fresh Air Traverse Video [Re: steelfrog]
romanandrey Offline

Loc: SoCal
Originally Posted By: steelfrog
Question--was Kurt talking to you as you went, calling out moves to you? Telling you what to do with the protection, etc.?

I think one of things that was cool about climbing with Kurt is he kind of senses where you are, comfort-wise, and adds just enough help to keep you rolling. And, any time we asked for help at a crux section, he was there with advice and encouragement.

That said, there were portions where he had led up and out of view, so it was nice to have a 3rd person along for extra motivation and support. smile

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr