Whitney Portal Store Message Board
Mount Whitney Reports

Topic Options
#36318 - 06/13/07 08:55 PM Theft problems?
cooldude54 Offline

Loc: So cal
Anyone had any trouble with theft at the portal campground or others like Horseshoe meadows? Have my hike day coming up. Never stayed in the area before. Are these areas far enough away from the aholes of the world?

#36322 - 06/13/07 09:47 PM Re: Theft problems? [Re: cooldude54]
wbtravis5152 Offline

I have never had a problem at Whitney Portal or Horseshoe Meadow but I don't leave any thing around of great value...like my $350 sleeping bag. Anything of value goes into the car or with me.

#36323 - 06/13/07 09:50 PM Re: Theft problems? [Re: cooldude54]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not much problem on the trail, but be careful around the Portal.

On another board, Richard wrote:

(I can't give you detailed times because someone stole my watch (Polar S810) from the top of my car while I was wandering around the Portal looking for familiar faces on Saturday evening!)

#36325 - 06/13/07 10:44 PM Re: Theft problems? [Re: cooldude54]
m.c. reinhardt Offline

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: cooldude54
Anyone had any trouble with theft at the portal campground or others like Horseshoe meadows? Have my hike day coming up. Never stayed in the area before. Are these areas far enough away from the aholes of the world?

I had my stuff sack with all my toiletries including a prescription medication stolen out of a bear storage locker last weekend at the Portal. There was not much I could have done to prevent it as I could not leave these items in my vehicle; at least they are replaceable. There are idiots everywhere in the world but I've always said that the "good people" make up for the idiots tenfold.

Have a good time on your day hike.

MC smile

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr