Whitney Portal Store Message Board
Mount Whitney Reports

Topic Options
#15917 - 09/08/04 05:37 PM Help restore my faith in humanity
HouseGrate Offline

I know this is space is usually reserved for less mundane and more positive topics than this, but here goes.

Me and my buddy set down our packs and trekking poles (2 sets) across the street from the Whitney Portal store yesterday, 9/7, after finishing our journey. It was about 3:15 pm. It would appear someone "lifted" them. If you saw anyone, or are someone who "inadvertently" picked them up (we can blame it on fatigue or oxygen deprivation - no questions asked) please let me know.

Some sentimental value attached, so please help a couple hikers out.

Thanks!

#15918 - 09/08/04 10:25 PM Re: Help restore my faith in humanity
ed. Offline

Loc: Illinois, United States
Man, I'm sorry that happened. I hope someone took em inadvertantly and somehow gets em back to you. I'd hate to think that someone stole them. Though I've only been up there a few times, I have never heard of anyone having their stuff stolen. Everytime I'm up there, everyone seems so kind and generous with supplies, equipment, and information. I always feel that there is some kind of camaraderie with the people who climb or hike there. Hope everything works out and take care.

-F

#15919 - 09/09/04 04:17 PM Re: Help restore my faith in humanity
HouseGrate Offline

Yea, Ed, I feel the same way. One of my favorite parts of backpacking is that it seems to bring out the best in people. There's a refreshing air of trust (e.g., the bear boxes; people leaving their tents unguarded w/ $100's of gear at Camp while they summit).

#15920 - 09/09/04 09:32 PM Re: Help restore my faith in humanity
Richard P. Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest, CA
We seem to be getting more and more of these types of reports. It's definitely disappointing. I need to reevaluate how I do things, because even recently, I've left very valuable stuff in my tent at most of the campsites I've stayed at in the Sierra. I guess I've been lucky.

#15921 - 09/09/04 09:50 PM Re: Help restore my faith in humanity
ed. Offline

Loc: Illinois, United States
I just read the thread started by zeus regarding the portalstore shower. I guess the problem isn't just "lifting" of belongings, but a general disrespect of other people's property.

-F

#15922 - 09/20/04 04:10 PM Re: Help restore my faith in humanity
randi Offline

We had the bag we placed in the bear box at the trailhead stolen while we were out camping at upper boyscout lake (9/16/04-9/19/04). It was the only item in the box that was sealed and properly labeled (everything else was randomly thrown in). It contained two fishing licenses, about $100 of fishing tackle in two tackle bags and a toiletry kit. Not that vauable to anyone else but very valuable to someone coming out of the mountains!! I sympathize with your disbelief & disappointment in humanity!!

#15923 - 09/20/04 06:26 PM Re: Help restore my faith in humanity
Ken Offline

Loc: Studio City, Ca
Not to be a butt, but wondering....why on earth put fishing gear in the "food" locker??? It is also hard to fathom that a bear would be trolling cars for fishing licenses.

It is probably a good concept to consider that people will be examining stuff put in, and taking stuff that has value other than food...pathetic as that may be.......

#15924 - 09/21/04 08:20 AM Re: Help restore my faith in humanity
randi Offline

The tackle bags contained several scented items -sunscreen, powerbait, bug spray, and were both old & used many times so had plenty of trout smell on them. Having had a bear encounted the night before, we believed it was better to be extra cautious. We never expected anyone to go through our stuff, let alone stea it. Since they were small, it was easier to place the whole bags into another, twice sealed, non-transparent tote bag. Whoever took our stuff probably took the whole larger tote bag and then later looked through it as everything inside was within secondary bags and completely hidden from view.

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr